Kích thước chữ: +ALớn hơn -ANhỏ hơn

Wednesday, May 8, 2013

UNIT 9: A FIRST-AID COURSE

UNIT 9: A FIRST-AID COURSE

Choose the most appropriate word to complete the sentences below.
  1. I put the heater on _________the plants warm.
A. keep B. keeping C. to keep D. for keeping
  1. Why not come over at the weekend? The children_____ seeing you again.
A. enjoy B. will enjoy C. are enjoying D. is going to enjoy
  1. That bag looks heavy. -I_______ you with it.
A. will help B. am going to help C. am helping D. help
  1. Calm ______and tell me what happened.
A. out B. down C. in D. up
  1. Sam was trying hard ____.
A. not to laugh B. to not laugh C. not laughing D. to not laughing
  1. You _____ forget what I told you. It’s very important.
A. mustn’t B. needn’t C. don’t have to D. can’t
  1. Cool the burns immediately so as to ______ tissue damage.
A. ease B. relieve C. minimize D. maximize
  1. ______ is a long stick placed under the armpit to help a lame person to walk.
A. Crutch B. Wheelchair C. Stretcher D. Bandage
  1. These medicines can_______ your headache.
A. ease B. elevate C. revive D. affect
  1. _____ is a long thin piece of cloth or paper used for tying round and protecting a wound.
A. Water packs B. Bandage C. Handkerchief D. Blanket
  1. This is an emergency. Please send _______to Tran Hung Dao Street.
A. a tank B. a cart C. an engine D. an ambulance
  1. We can use a _______to cover the wound.
A. blanket B. net C. handkerchief D. pillow
  1. The doctor is asking about the _______of the injured person to know exactly how to cure her.
A. address B. condition B. health D. appearance
  1. The victim’s head should be below the level of the _______.
A. feet B. heart C. hands D. neck
  1. You should ease the pain with ice or _______water packs.
A. cold B. hot C. cool D. warm
  1. The victim should drink a cup of _______when reviving.
A. beer B. tea C. coffee D. wine
  1. _______his broken legs, he couldn’t go to work.
A. because B. because of C. though D. despite
  1. It’s very kind _______you to help me.
A. for B. with C. of D. to
  1. You should _______the burns immediately.
A. spoil B. heat C. fire D. cool
  1. Would you mind _______the windows? It’s too hot in here.
A. closing B. opening C. to close D. to open
Fill in the blanks with the correct preposition.
  1. She fell_______ her bike and hit her head_______ the road.
  2. What is the address_______ the school?
  3. The ambulance will be there_______ about ten minutes.
  4. Don’t overheat the victim_______ blankets or coats.
  5. Cover the burned area_______ a thick sterile dressing.
  6. Thank you very much _______ the flowers you sent to me.
  7. You should ease the pain_______ ice or cold water packs.
  8. The victim should drink a cup_______ tea when reviving.
  9. Your flowers will really help to cheer me_______.
  10. I’ll phone you_______ Saturday afternoon.
  11. Calm _______. Could you please tell me what happened?
  12. The hospital will send an ambulance to the scene _______10 minutes.
  13. Thank you very much _______the present you sent to me.
  14. Will you come to my house _______the weekend?
  15. Although her legs were broken, she can go _______work.
  16. You must get _______early so as not to be late _______school.
  17. Because of the heavy rain, we didn’t want go _______last night.
  18. Remember not to overheat the victim _______blankets or coats.
  19. It’s very kind _______ you to help me.
  20. Mai is standing _______the chair next _______the table.
Choose the word (a, b, c, or d) that best fits each of the blanks.
How can we keep our teeth (1)______? Firstly, we ought to visit our (2)____ twice a year. Secondly, we should brush our teeth (3)____ a toothbrush and fluoride toothpaste at least twice a day, once after breakfast and once before we go to bed. We can also use toothpicks (4)_____between our teeth after a meal. Thirdly, we (5)______ eat food that is good (6)______ our teeth and our body such as milk, fish, brown bread, raw vegetables, fresh fruit, etc.
1. A. health B. healthy C. healthily D. unhealthy
2. A. dentist B. doctor C. teacher D. engineer
3. A. on B. of C. by D. with
4. A. clean B. to clean C. cleaning D. to cleaning
5. A. should B. ought to C. need D. a & b
6. A. for B. at C. on D. to
Read the following passage and choose best answers to each of the questions.
It all happened rather quickly - the doctors realized that I needed to have my appendix out immediately, to prevent things from getting any worse, and they operated on me straight away. But I’m not feeling too bad and I’m getting better all the time. The doctors say it will take about a week for me to get over the operation completely.
I do find it a bit boring here - there’s nothing to do. They say I mustn’t get up unless it’s absolutely necessary, so I can’t even get to the TV room.
appendix (n) ruột thừa /prevent (v) ngăn/operate (v) phẫu thuật
  1. Who is the author?
A. a patient B. a nurse C. a victim D. a&c are correct
  1. What is the passage written about?
A. an accident B. an event C. an emergency D. a festival
  1. How long does it take him to get over the operation completely?
A. two days B. seven days C. fourteen days D. thirty days
  1. How does the author feel after the operation?
A. He feels too bad. B. He feels a bit boring in the hospital.
C. He feels better all the time. D. B & C are correct
  1. Which of the following is not true?
A. The author is watching TV. B. He is going home soon.
C. He can’t get up. D. He can’t go to the TV room.
Fill in the gave with “a-an-the” where possible.
1. Please send _____ambulance to _____Second Street. There is _____accident there.
2. Use _____handkerchief or _____towel to cover _____wound.
3. Would you please describe _____condition of _____injured person?
4. Please carry _____stretcher over here and take _____patient into _____operation room.
5. _____victim’s head is bleeding and she cries _____lot.
6. Elevate _____patient’s feet, or lower her head below _____level of _____heart.
7. Remember not to overheat _____victim with blankets or coats.
8. You have to cool _____burns immediately so as to minimize tissue damage.
9. Please help me to cover _____burned area with _____thick sterile dressing.
10. Excuse me, sir! Would you please show me _____way to _____nearest drugstore?
Complete the sentences with “I’ll” + a suitable verb.
1. I’m too tired to walk home. I think ________________a taxi.
2. “It’s a bit cold in this room”. “Is it ? ________________on the heating then.”
3. “We haven’t got any bread and eggs.” “Oh, haven’t we? ________________and get some”.
4. “Do you want me to do the cleaning ?”. “ No, it’s all right. ________________it”.
5. “ I don’t know how to fly a kite.” “Ok, ________________you.”
6. “Would you like milk or orange juice?” -“________________ milk, please”
7. “Goodbye! Have a nice holiday.” “Thank you ________________you some postcards.”
8. Thank you for lending me your camera ________________it back to you tomorrow, Ok?
9. “Are you coming with us?” “ No, I think________________here.”
10. Oh, I’ve let the door open. ________________and shut it.
Which tense is correct?
1. “Did you phone Jack?” “Oh no, I forgot. I phone/I’ll phone him now.”
2. We can’t meet her tomorrow morning. I’m playing/I’ll play table tennis.
3. “I meet/I’ll meet them in my office in one hour, OK?” “yes, that’s fine.”
4. “We need some money.” “Ok, I’m lending/I’ll lend you some. How much do you want?”
5. We’re having/We’ll have a get-together next weekend. We hope you can come.
6. “Remember to take an umbrella with you when you go out.” “Ok. I don’t forget/I won’t forget”.
7. What time does your plane leave/will your plane leave tomorrow?
8. I asked John what happened but he doesn’t tell/won’t tell me.
9. “Are you doing? Will you do anything tomorrow afternoon?” “No, I’m free. Why?”
10. We don’t want to go out alone. Do you come? Will you come with us?
Complete the sentences with “will” + one of these verbs in the box.
-pass- meet- look- like- get- come- be- phone- find- burn-
1. I haven’t seen Hanh today. I expect she ________________me this evening.
2. Tommy has been away a long time. When he returns he ________________a lot of changes.
3.That pot is very hot. If you touch it, you ________________yourself.
4. Don’t worry about your exam. I’m sure you ________________.
5. Why don’t you try on this new shirt? It ________________nice on you.
6. You must meet Jackson sometime. I think you ________________him.
7. It’s snowing. Don’t go out. You ________________wet.
8. We’ve invited her to our house. We ________________offended if she doesn’t go.
9. Goodbye. We expect we ________________you again soon.
10. We’ve invited Rose to the party but we don’t think she ________________.
Complete the following sentences, using the correct form of the words in brackets.
1. Press firmly on the wound to stop the ________________. (bleed)
2. ‘I’ll call the doctor,’ he said ________________. (calm)
3. I can’t remember any more – I must have lost ________________. (conscious)
4. Please enter your ________________name. (use)
5. He pulled the plastic ________________off the dead body. (cover)
6. The rope holding the boat suddenly ________________and broke. (tight)
7. She took ________________in shocking her parents. (please)
8. The day began ________________with bright sunshine. (promise)
9. The final team ________________will be made tomorrow. (select)
10. Payment is ________________upon delivery of the goods. (decide) (condition)
Combine these pairs of sentences, using adverbial clauses of purpose.
EX: Mai studied hard. She wanted to pass the exam.
Mai studied hard so that she could pass the exam.
1. He went to the bookstore. He wanted to pass the exam.
2. I’ll give you my address. I want you to be able to come with me.
3. The teacher spoke very slowly. He wanted his students to understand what he said.
4. She sent her children to their house. She wanted to have some peace.
5. Her parents sent her to Canada. They wanted her to study economics there.
6. My sister is learning Chinese. She wants to get a good job.
7. The children get up early. They want to do morning exercises.
8. Loan telephoned me. She wanted to invite me to her birthday party.
9. Trinh went shopping early in the morning. She wanted to buy something.
10. Hoa goes to the post office. She wants to buy some stamps.
11. Mr. Pike is learning Vienamese. He wishes to read Kim Van Kieu.
12. Please shut the windows and the door. I don’t want the cat to go into the house.
13. The man built a high wall around his garden. The fruit wouldn’t be stolen.
14. The policeman stopped the traffic every few minutes. The pedestrians might cross the road.
15. The notices are written in several languages. Everyone may understand them.
16. The little girl stood on the chair. She could see the show better.
17. He wishes he had enough money. He wants to buy a new house.
18. Britney is practicing the piano. She can play for the dance.
19. I need a job. I want to support my old teacher.
20. We moved to the front row. We could hear the speaker better.
Match the sentences in column A with suitable phrases in column B.
A
B
KEYS
1. Mr Tam is going into hospital.
A. to keep it safe.
1-
2. The firemen rushed into the burning house.
B. to learn what his wife did in the evenings.
2-
3. Miss Linh disconnected the phone.
C. to have an operation.
3-
4. He is learning skiing.
D. to see better.
4-
5. The bank receives money.
E. to ski when he gets to Canada.
5-
6. She stood up.
F. to save the child.
6-
7. I left the message.
G. to go up the mountain.
7-
8. Linda didn’t have enough energy.
H. so as to be sure of contacting her.
8-
9. Don’t leave litter in the river.
I. so as to be disturbed.
9-
10. He employed a detective.
J. so as not to pollute water.
10-

Nguồn: Internet

0 comments:

Post a Comment